Friday, January 22, 2010

excerpt.

an excerpt, from the disadvantages of elite education, By William Deresiewicz

"....students from elite schools expect success, and expect it now. They have, by definition, never experienced anything else, and their sense of self has been built around their ability to succeed. The idea of not being successful terrifies them, disorients them, defeats them. They’ve been driven their whole lives by a fear of failure—often, in the first instance, by their parents’ fear of failure. The first time I blew a test, I walked out of the room feeling like I no longer knew who I was. The second time, it was easier; I had started to learn that failure isn’t the end of the world."


the whole article is uber long, but rather interesting.
from my experience, i find that he makes remarkable and real points throughout. i was paralyzed the first time i failed my math test. i never quite remember the second, third, or subsequent ones, but the first one was engraved mentally. today, though still driven by efficiency and expediency.. i can tell myself that achievement is not the end goal of my life.

because the end goal is so much more.
the only thing more important than telling that to those you support and care for?

believing in it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home